Monday, August 18, 2008

30 Dates in 30 Days... The Intro

As promised - the full report.

A few of you may know that I did something crazy, that being joining a local radio station 95SX "experiment" where I will go on, yes, 30 Dates in 30 Days. This is somewhat, or perhaps completely, out of character for me. Being out of character is why I decided to sign up, and attempt to complete this silly stunt.

So tonight was the first "mixer" or happy hour at Red's on Shem Creek. A few other girls showed up, I only know of four for sure besides me and Amy who was kind enough to be my wing man and also was interested in honing in on her flirting skills.

The concept is twofold - for one taking the suspense, fear, anxiety, etc. out of just going on a simple date. The idea that having a date can be just that, and not a preamble for a serious relationship. The second is to open yourself up to going on a date with someone you may not ever consider speaking to otherwise, potentially.

I managed to make two dates. Both of which accomplished the goal of going on a date with someone I'd usually not give a second look. So, tomorrow I will have a date with a guy named David. He seems like a very nice guy, but in no way resembles either physically nor intellectually someone I would be interested in. Then, Wednesday I have a date with a guy named George. He seemed cool enough; however, he talked so quietly and his words lacked distinction to the point that given my degree of hearing loss (thank you Tobramycin) and inability to read his lips I really had no idea most of the time what he was saying. So, for having made the first date out of anyone I had received two free movie tickets to Pineapple Express, and decided that would be a good date for someone that I had no latent ability to communicate with.

I failed in my goal to create enough dates to last me until the next mixer. This is partially because it took me nearly 90 minutes to get started on the date scheduling process - which I discovered absolutely did require me to approach a strange, and strange looking, man and insist that he take me on a date - like tomorrow.

But, it does seem easier now, so hopefully I can secure a few more dates in the meantime.

The tally so far:

Good things:

1) I get a dinner and a movie that no doubt I would not take myself on alone.

2) I did manage to have an enlightening and enjoyable conversation with George's friend who incidentally is from out of town and leaving tomorrow. (no date there!)

3) I got a few free Bud Lights, which combines two of the only beers I drink (as a reminder those are a) Guinness on tap, b) Bud Light, and c) Free Beer!)

4) I got to meet Brooke and Tanya from 2 Girls and a Guy, and they are very cool.

5) I hung out with Amy and we never have before. Hopefully she will continue to come to the mixers.

6) I left the house for a social event on my own accord and had a fun time.

Bad things:

1) Two random dudes now have my phone number

.2) I think George must be an auto mechanic or something because his fingernails were filthy. At first I thought he must be one of those weird Goth guys and couldn't get the nail polish off haha. But, it seems he works on cars and paints them. Because of obvious transplant issues I of course cannot let some grimy finger nails touch me. Hopefully he won't think about sharing a popcorn!

So, in the words of the great Beth Peters, "Let you know how it turns out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment