Monday, August 25, 2008

30 Dates in 30 Days - Day 7, 30 Dates Mixer, no date

Tonight I realized that this 30 Dates thing isn't all fun and games. I didn't get any dates at the mixer and my feelings were hurt. I don't know if you know this about me, but I work really hard to not let my feelings get hurt. I almost never put myself in enough risk to get hurt, ya know? Some people may know me for years and not know it's possible for it to happen.

So this is what happened. I got to Red's and I was actually pretty excited about the night. I'd worn this little black dress that Jana gave me to work that was probably too short but nobody said anything. While I was at work I wore a black sweater over the top that went very well and covered up the spaghetti straps so I wouldn't feel naked at work. I wore some black sandals with a heal that hurt my feet but looked nice. I have a cut on my little toe now. I even wore makeup to work which is something I almost never do.

So I saw Brooke and the people from 95sx. They all thought I looked so cute. One of the girls Ashley that used to work at Market Street back before it sucked was there. We tried to form a strategy of who we'd approach at the bar. So, I went out there. The first couple of guys were married, and I knew that, so I went with the approach that they must have some single friends. I always introduce the radio station thing and kind of ride the wave of the 30 dates in 30 days. I didn't really think they'd get on the phone and call up one of their friends, so no big deal there.

Then I went back inside where the one of the other girls was talking to a few people. She had made a date with one of the guys and the other one had a date with Brooke. For some reason the guys are reluctant to play the game and make a date with someone else if they've already made one. So, no action there.

Then I went outside and sat down next to two guys. The one on the far end from me said hello and actually seemed nice for a second. The the one right next to me says, "I know what you're going to ask and the answer is no." So, for a second I played into that, "What do you think I'm going to ask?" I just assumed he knew about the 30 dates thing. He responds, "Well why don't you ask and then I'll tell you if you're right." And I say, "well you're the one that thinks you know, so just tell me what you think." He refuses and I get frustrated. I guess I felt like he was making fun of me. I don't really know why it bothered me. So, I was like "well never mind, I don't need to ask you anything I'll just go back inside." The farther guy says to the guy next to me, "You offended her that quickly?" I responded, "yep, it was that quick". So I went back inside and sat down with everyone else. But, it really bothered me. Why did it bother me so much? I think it was the combination of my first day at work and all that. My sister said perhaps I ended up at an asshole convention by accident.

Anyway I thought maybe I had overreacted and there wasn't anything to it. So I went back out to talk to those guys again. After all, I really did want to keep on track with the dates. So I told them I had planned to ask one of them to take me out on a date, and went through the usual about the 95sx and the 30 dates. I could see in their faces that they really hadn't thought I was going to ask anything like that. But instead of being cool, they started making really vulgar comments to the likes that even I, a proficient swearer and inappropriate joke teller, was offended. Things like well only if we can have sex or whatever, in not such nice words.

So I went back inside and sat with my friends for a bit, but I was pretty much disheartened. For one because this is supposed to be fun and not mean. And two because I'm feeling pretty undatable. And what really bothers me is, I don't care! I don't need any dates, I just wanted to have some fun. And instead, I feel like a girl who can't get a date to her senior prom.

Anyway, so that's my story. To end on a positive note, my friend Lori set me up to go out with guy she knows from work. We've emailed and I think we will have a lunch date this week. I think on Thursday. He wrote, "nothing like the occasional blind date to sharpen the conversational skills." I like that. Let ya know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment