Tuesday, August 19, 2008

30 Dates in 30 Days - Day 1, Date 1

I've just arrived home from my first date, with David. First, the setting, Wild Wings in Mount Pleasant, on Two for Tuesday. Duration: 90 minutes. We were to meet at Wild Wings at 7:00. I was wearing pink and khaki plaid Capri's, a pink tank top, white sandals, and I also had a khaki shirt tied around my waist in anticipation of being cold.

David rang my phone at 6:48 PM as I was getting in the car to drive to the restaurant. I answered. He indicated that he was already at Wild Wings and asked if it was alright if he got a table. Translation, "are you actually coming?" Yes I answer, I'll be there in less than 10 minutes.

As I arrive he is standing outside waiting with his table beeper. He is wearing a blue Izod polo shirt and khaki shorts, and boat shoes I guess, with white socks. We went to the outside bar and I ordered a sweet tea. He did also.

He made some small talk about dating. I indicated I don't go out on dates very often and he acted like that was odd, so I assume he thought I was lying. You know, that "oh, really?" response. I was unable to assess whether he was attempting to indicate he went on lots of dates, but I decided I didn't want to know and changed the subject.

So, I asked him what he did for work. I must admit I'm a little reluctant to disclose this information as there may be a number of my facebook friends that may recognize him - but I'm not holding anything back as to avoid disappointing my avid readers. So, he told me he cuts hair at the Citadel. Now, normally, it would be somewhat interesting I think, to run into a straight male hairdresser... but somehow I don't think shaving knobs heads falls into that category. I was somewhat curious what classification a state employee barber would be, so I could not help but look it up in the state classification system: http://www.musc.edu/hrm/classcomp/view_class.shtml?EC35

So then of course I told him about my job. About then our table was ready. We sat outside. He was on my left side, which doesn't bode well for me hearing him all that well, and unfortunately there was a huge group about 20 deep on our right. I let him know that he had to speak up because I don't hear all that well, but since he made a joke about it, I'm sure it wasn't clear that I was serious until about the 10th time I asked him to repeat himself.

So then we ordered. I got 12 ginger wings, he ordered Habanero Hot wings. I, of course, was not impressed with this. At the worst this is a disastrous act of foodie machismo, and at best a foolish choice for first date dinner that you want to feel comfortable. So the wings came and he coughed down the first one. He did actually eat them all, but around the fourth one he said, "these aren't hot at all." I refrained from asking him if he always sweats profusely from his forehead and neck while chugging water and downing ranch dipped celery and instead smiled politely.

I was looking forward to eating, for one because I was hungry and love Wild wings, but also because I assumed it would be a break from conversation. I am a fairly serious eater, and don't usually talk that much while I'm eating. But, he kept talking, I think nervous kind of talk, and so then I was forced to either ask him to repeat himself or just nod and pretend I heard him. This is quite a decision, as I'm frequently reminded of the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry gets roped into wearing the puffy shirt because he just nodded in agreement at the low talking woman.

Apparently on the television behind me there was some show on with girls with huge racks. That drew his attention on a number of occasions. Then, after he'd notice that I'd "caught" him looking over there, he'd start talking again. It was sort of a vicious cycle.

He asked me if I'd like to go for a walk on the beach with him after dinner. I politely declined. Then we talked about what kind of movies we like. I like documentaries and movies with fighting in them, like Fight Club and Boondock Saints. He hadn't heard of those movies, but likes Westerns, movies with motorcycles in them, and comedies.

We also talked about video games. He likes console games like PS2 golf games. I like PC online games and RPG and Sim games.

I excused myself to wash my hands and I think he was afraid I was going to bolt, because he tried to insist that I didn't need to wash my hands that I should use the wipes that Wild Wings provides. I did manage to go actually go wash my hands.

So, then dinner was over and I told him thanks and that I should get home because I had to walk my dog. This admittedly was only half true, as I do have a dog but like a good dog mommy had walked her before our date.

We were walking out and he made a hand motion to me that I didn't understand. I asked him what he was saying and he was actually indicating that I should walk faster. So, then he said he had a good time and could we go out again, and I said we'll see but I'm sure I'll see him around at the next 95sx mixer. He made a clumsy attempt at giving me a hug which I sort of dodged and turned into a half hug.

So, the overall assessment, not a disaster, but not something I want to do again. Besides the fact that he is probably 10 to 15 years older than me and in very poor physical shape, we don't have anything in common and I wasn't excited about our conversations.

So the positive aspects are that I did go out on a date. And, I went on a date with someone that I normally would not have, which is part of the idea of this little exercise.

I'll keep you posted on my progress and/or regression :)

PS - I need dates! Please subject your friends to a date with me and I promise that I will not completely emasculate them, at least not in public ;)

PPS - I've just remembered one more thing as I was taking my hair down just now. During the clumsy hug he made a somewhat obvious attempt to sniff my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment